All regular full-time, benefits-eligible associates scheduled for or normally working 30 or more hours per week are eligible for benefits. You have three opportunities to enroll in or change your benefits.
Once a year, you have the opportunity to enroll in or change your benefits during Open Enrollment. Benefits elected during this period will be effective July 1 and continue through June 30 of the following year.
As an active full-time, benefits-eligible associate, you have 31 days from your full-time date of hire to enroll in benefits. Your benefits will be effective the first day of the month following your date of hire or change to active full-time status. Short-term disability coverage is effective 90 days after your date of hire or change to active full-time status, if you do not waive this coverage.
Qualifying Life Events
Once you make your benefit elections, they remain in effect for the plan year (July 1 through June 30). You may only change coverage due to a Qualifying Life Event and must do so within 31 days from the date of the event. If you do not make your changes within 31 days, you will need to wait until the next Open Enrollment to make changes. Benefits elected pursuant to a Qualifying Life Event are effective the first day of the month following the date of the event, except in the event of the birth or adoption of a child, in which case the benefits are effective immediately. Retroactive deductions may be taken if the elections are made in the month after the date of the Qualifying Life Event.
Examples of Qualifying Life Events include:
- Divorce or legal separation
- Birth of your child
- Adoption of or placement for adoption of your child
- Death of your spouse/same-gender domestic partner or dependent child
- Change in dependent status of a child, such as when he or she reaches age 26
- Termination or commencement of your spouse’s/same-gender domestic partner’s employment
- Change of employment status by you or your spouse/same-gender domestic partner
- A significant change in your or your spouse’s/same-gender domestic partner’s health coverage due to your spouse’s/same-gender domestic partner’s employment
- Receipt of a Qualified Medical Child Support Order
- Entitlement to Medicare or Medicaid
If you need assistance, contact the WSI Benefits Resource Center at 800.413.1444 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. PT, Monday through Friday, except holidays. To make a change to your benefits due to a Qualifying Life Event, click the Enroll Now button.
You can enroll your spouse, same-gender domestic partner and common-law spouse (as defined by each state law). In California only, spouse, common-law spouse (as defined by each state law), same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners are eligible to enroll (as required by law). To add dependents to your coverage (including your spouse/same-gender domestic partner and children up to age 26), you must provide Social Security numbers and other required documentation, such as a marriage license or birth certificate, to verify eligibility. Reminder: You will not be able to make any changes during the plan year unless you experience a qualified life event, such as the birth of a child or marriage. Be sure to enroll and do not miss the opportunity to choose what is best for you and your family.
Additionally, you may be asked to re-verify eligibility for your spouse/same-gender domestic partner periodically as part of our ongoing dependent verification process. Open Enrollment is a good time to review your personal data each year and make sure your dependent information is complete and up to date.
Enrolling Dependents for the First Time?
Dependent coverage, along with the corresponding premiums, is effective the first day of the month following your date of hire or life event (except in the event of the birth or adoption of a child, in which case the benefits are effective immediately). You must submit verification within 45 days of your date of hire, Open Enrollment or Qualifying Life Event for your dependent to be added to your benefits. Your paycheck will be deducted for associate-only premiums until your dependent is verified. Depending on when you submit your documents and how long it takes to verify your information, you may go through several pay cycles with associate-only premiums. Once your dependent eligibility is confirmed, your premiums will increase based on the coverage level you selected. Additionally, you’ll be responsible for the difference in cost for dependent coverage premiums dating back to your effective coverage date. These retroactive premiums will be deducted in incremental amounts over several paychecks until your premiums are up to date. Keep this in mind for budgeting purposes so you can plan for these deductions. If you do not complete the verification process, your dependents will not have benefits coverage through WSI.
Prepare to Enroll
Here is what you need to do by your enrollment deadline:
WAYS TO ENROLL
You have three ways you can enroll:
- Enroll Online
- Enroll by Mobile App
- Go to the Life@Work mobile app, log in and click the Enroll Now button and follow the steps to make your elections.
- Mobile app instructions
- From the App Store or Google Play, search for Life@Work and download the app on your mobile device.
- You will need to register your device before launching the app. Log in to the Benefits Portal through your computer and go to My Profile by clicking on your name in the top right corner of your screen.
- Click on the Login and Recovery tab and then click on Register Mobile App, select a method to receive your PIN and click Continue.
- A QR code will be generated. You’ll need this for step 5, so leave the computer window open.
- Open the app on your mobile device, click on Register Now, then OK for camera access. You will be prompted to scan the QR code on your computer.
- Enter the temporary PIN from step 3. You will be prompted to create a new PIN to log into the mobile app going forward.
- Enroll by Phone
- Call the WSI Benefits Resource Center at 800.413.1444, option 1.